November 10, 2011

Praha


Here is post 2 of 2 for Today.. Enjoy!

We left early in the morning on a Saturday. We were all really excited about getting out of town and exploring another country. Getting there is half the battle. We took a train from Salzburg to Linz. We had 10 mins to find our connecting train.. However it left early and we missed it. So we had to wait an hour for the next train. We took the next train until the line ended. The line ended because they are working on it. So we took a bus until it stopped at the next train station. We got on another train and made it into the Czech Republic then transferred to another train to Praha. What was really neat was that the train to Praha was like the train on Harry Potter. It kind of felt like we were going to Hogwarts haha. All in all we traveled about 8 hours that day.

The Group!

Art Museum

We arrived in Praha and made it to the apartment we were renting for the four days. It was a really nice apartment and we felt right at home. We were starving so we found a nice little pub down the road for dinner. Let’s just say they had the most delicious burger I have ever eaten in Europe. We went back again before we left, it was that good.

Another neat thing about Praha is that the dollar and Euro are extremely strong to the Czech Krown. So everything was fairly inexpensive and it was nice.

Sunday we split up into two groups. My group went to the Praha Zoo. It’s internationally ranked in the top 10 for amazing zoos. It lived up to its name. In the nocturnal animal building the bats were free to fly around. We didn’t know that at the time but I quickly realized it when one flew right past my head and my hair moved. I almost screamed and hid behind one of my friends. I hate bats. They scare me almost as much as spiders and snakes. We also got to see a polar bear playing in the water. I have never seen a polar bear play. They’re normally sleeping whenever I’m at the zoo so it was awesome to see. We also got to see Lions, Tigers, and Snowy Owls (aka Hedwig).

Bearcat!! Represent Cincy!!!

Lions!

Tiger!!

That night we went to the Praha ballet. They were doing “The Best of Swan Lake” I once again was in Heaven. I love seeing the arts and ballet is one of my favorites. I wish we had gotten to see the entire show of Swan Lake but it was still pretty good. Three people including one of the leads fell in the exact same spot on stage, I think it was cursed haha. One of the leads, the bad guy, looked just like Carlton Lassiter on Psych. I thought that was really funny.

Row 6!!

Monday we decided to explore the Old City. We went up to the Fortress/Castle. It was amazing! By the way, they are known for their marionettes. They’re EVERYWHERE! The castle was really old so not really my style haha. We did however get to see St Vitas and St George’s Basilica. St George is my favorite Saint so seeing Statues of him everywhere was really neat. St Vitas was gorgeous. I met a lovely couple from Atlanta there that gave me an extra brochure about St Vitas and told me a couple places to visit. We also went to a Chocolate Museum! Needless to say it’s every girls dream to go to a Chocolate Museum. The Chocolate samples were delicious too haha. We went to the pub again for dinner.
View of Praha

The Palace

St George!

Chocolate Demonstration!
Tuesday we got lost in the City, not really lost but just wandered around enjoying the sites and shopping. We did a lot of shopping. We went to a local café for lunch and just snacked for dinner. It was a relaxing day but fun all the same.

Going home was much less stressful than going. We didn’t have to catch a bus because our side of the track was being worked on. We had to change trains twice but they were easy switches and didn’t miss our connection.

Praha is amazing and if you get the chance to go I highly recommend it. I had a blast and wouldn’t mind going back. J

No comments:

Post a Comment