June 26, 2012

"It's been such a long time, I think I should be going"


Wow, we’re down to it everyone! This has been a crazy fun ride with it’s highs and lows but we survived! I’ve got two more blog entries and then I’m done. I may continue it once I get home but focused more on what’s going on back home. I really like writing everything out and sharing some of my fun memories with you so I’ll more than likely continue.

Thank you once again for reading and sharing the last year of my life with me!!

On to the last bit of Salzburg…


So a lot has been going on the past month. I’ve written two papers, gave a presentation, and taken a million tests. I’m so glad the academic part of this journey is basically over. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not going to miss the academic part of this experience. I am going to miss the friends that I’ve made here in Salzburg. Especially my close friends from Dubliner (the awesome Irish Pub I frequent).

One of my good friends got married here a few weeks ago so Congratulations to Robert and Jeanine! I’m happy for you both!

The other week Robert planned a last night out for a group of us since he’s leaving for his honeymoon this week and we all wanted to go out. So we begin this night of epicness at Stieglkeller. If you’re ever in Salzburg GO HERE! The view from the biergarten is amazing and can’t be beat. I met up with a bunch of Robert and Jeanine’s friends as my classmates couldn’t make it so I was the lone college student haha. I love the group that we were out with. We had so much fun! Little did I know that when I walked in to Stieglkeller that I’d be greeted as “Harry” haha…

Why might I be greeted as Harry you ask. Well that’s a story in itself haha. One night at Dubliner a few weeks ago I asked to pay my tab and Markus had to ask Robert which name was mine on the list they keep behind the bar. Robert said that clearly my name was written at the very top. See Robert’s handwriting isn’t the best, especially when multiple shots of Jameson and pints of Guinness have been drunk to cheer on the Irish football team haha. Well the name looked like “Harry” so from then on it stuck. I was introduced, and to this day I’m still introduced to new friends as “Harry”.

Back to that epic night out. We stayed at Stieglkeller for a few drinks and dinner for those of us eating. I had this amazing plate of Roastbeef, Potato Salad, and Sauerkraut. I was in heaven. That and the Raddler I was drinking was one of the best Raddlers I’ve had my entire timer here. I’m not a big beer fan unless it’s Guinness or Smithwicks so to say it was good is saying something. That is until I had to chug half a liter so we could leave. The guys laughed at the face I made while drinking haha. It doesn’t taste as good if you’re chugging it haha. So we then headed off to Dubliner as one of the girls in our group had to work that evening. We got there and some of the others ate and the rest of us talked and drank. I had my standing order of Magners. See Dubliner is my real life version of Cheers. All the bartenders, cooks, and servers know my name and my order. I feel like Norm every now and then when I walk in as they all greet me “Alex!” or “Harry” now haha.

After we ate and had a few drinks we wanted to go somewhere to watch the football game. So we went to a little bar called Balthazar. Now with a name like that I was going to love it. It was a cozy little bar and we all got a booth. I ended up teaching some of the basics of signlanguage while we were there. See I’ve taken several sign language classes and when I’ve been drinking I start to sign. Especially the signs for “go home” and “water”. I taught them signs for Beer, Water, Hungry, and Margarita. Then the boys left for a moment and we had some girl time which was a blast. The boys walked back to us doing a shot and giggling. I had wanted to sing one last song at karaoke and talked Markus, Birgit, and Robert into singing with me. So we headed to O’Mally’s and sang a LEGENDARY rendition of Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody. It was so much fun. Then I got “Kidnapped” by Birgit and Jeanine for girl time at the bar next door. We stayed here basically the rest of the night and did more shots than I can count. Robert and Markus finally showed up and then I may have cried a bit when I realized it was the last night out with my “big brother” and I was going to miss him. Then I was handed my drink and we started dancing, laughing, and having a grand old time. Little did I know that Robert made a video on my phone of Birgit, Jeanine, and I haha. I have never laughed so hard in the morning I as did when I found that video.

So the night of epicness was just that EPIC.

This last week is going slowly yet quickly at the same time. I’m ready to say goodbye. Last night we had our last group dinner at Stieglkeller. It was fun and delicious. However, today while on the bus heading to Uni so I could study for my last final I heard a song that I’ve been addicted to for the last month or so and realized that the lyrics fit perfect for this post. The song was Boston’s Foreplay/Longtime. I’ll post a video of it at the end of this post.

My time in Salzburg is done. I’ve had a great time and will miss it terribly… Well Boston said it better than I ever could so I’ll let them speak for me.

It’s been such a long time
I think I should be goin’ yeah
And time doesn’t wait for me, it keeps of rollin’
Sail on, on a distant highway
I’ve got to keep on chasin’ a dream
I’ve gotta be on my way
Wish there was something I could say.

Here’s to you Salzburg! I’ll be back soon! No really I’ll be back next week with my family! Haha.
View from the Uni's roof

Drink of Choice at Dubliner

Me and a Kebap

Saturday morning I’m heading to Zurich to meet my parents and we’re traveling a bit through Europe before heading home. So one more post of our Shenanigans through: Zurich, Caen, Paris, Munich, Salzburg, and Venice.


No comments:

Post a Comment