January 30, 2012

Schneeschuh laufen im Berge


A little over a week ago my Study Abroad group traveled a little North of Zell Am See to go Snowshoeing. This was the best Excursion of the Semester! The travel time was almost 2 hours and there was SO MUCH SNOW! In Salzburg we have had a very dry Winter therefore almost no snow. However once you get about 45 mins out of town there is snow up to your knee! Needless to say I was in Heaven.


When we arrived in this little town we watched a slideshow presentation on Nature in the Mountains. This was fairly interesting but I more interested in the projector they were using. It was one of the ancient slide projectors! I love seeing those! After the slideshow we went to a tiny Market to get snacks for the break once we reach the top of the mountain. Afterwards we go back on the bus and drove a little ways to where we’d start our hike.

Getting the snowshoes on was quite the challenge. Two people had to help me get them on and be sure they wouldn’t come off. I was super excited to be snowshoeing because it’s been a dream of mine since I was a little kid. Plus if I’m going to be a German Teacher the only jobs available are in Alaska and Minnesota, both of which get a ton of snow!

We start walking up the Mountain and its Gorgeous! They had just gotten a ton of fresh snow the night before, so naturally its difficult to traverse and very easy to fall. One particular guy in our group fell quite a bit. At one point he almost fell down the mountain! The snow had a tendency to cave on him and like myself he’s not that graceful haha. Eventually we made it to the top and my goodness what a view J



Oh I forgot to mention that I threw the best snowball in the world! I had the higher ground at one point on two of my friends and I lobbed a snowball hoping to hit one of them and I did! I hit Akasha right on the arm and go away with it! Both of my friends thought Seth had thrown it. Hehe!

Anyway I digress. At the top of the mountain during our break I was talking with a friend and he put snow down my shirt! Not just one of my layers but he had somehow gotten it down my UnderArmor shirt! I had so many layers on and had to get them off quickly to get the snow out of my shirt. It was quite funny and my friend Julie has captured it all just for you! Haha.



Getting down the mountain was something entirely different. One cannot simply walk down a mountain (said in my Boramir voice “One cannot simply walk into Morodor”). You could literally run down the mountain or, as I chose to after trying to run , you could slide on your bum down the mountain. That was the most fun I’d had sliding in the snow EVER!

This is a fairly short update but it was a LEGENDARY and EPIC day. Pictures are courtesy of  Julie Clark and Seth Hobson as I didn’t take any pictures since I was focused on not falling down the mountain haha!

Ireland is 13 days away!!! Still looking for tips on what to do in Dublin, Belfast, and Cork!!!

Also my Sisters at Phi Mu are still raising money for Children’s Miracle Network. You can make miracles happen by donating today!! Just click the link on the right J Thank you to the two readers that have donated!

Schönes Tag!!!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment